Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sign me up for The Partnership for 21st Century Skills needed for students to be successful in life. There is a lot going on on the website. I was repeatedly drawn to the states that already have the partnership in place. I am wonder about the results of this program, not that I am a statistics kind of girl, but it would be interesting to take a look a the before and after effects. On the website I bookmarked several websites that I thought were useful. Kidsrgreen.org/krg.html was a great website that is kid friendly, but poses "Wicked" questions for the students to answer, such as Global Warming. I also found a website that teaches pretty much anything in online classroom setting for FREE! ICT is the company.
Honestly, not seeing California on the list of states that is participating surprised me, and not in a good way.
This partnership realizes the parmount importance of teaching our students technology, like other countries like Japan that subsidizes 98% of internet access in ALL household. Their High Schools have online learning. This is an example of one country.
The NCLB was mentioned several times on some UTube sites and it is obvious that there is not equal opportunity for all students. NCLB has a technology section mandating every student become technologically literate by the end of 8th grade. There is a law without the necessary tools, even with the tools there are so many variables that do not allow this to succeed, but closing the gap, is allowing all states access to programs like the Partnership in the 21st century. Thornburg and Dede supported the Partnership for 21st century. ( communication, thinking/reasoning, literacy) These are the keys to the future.
I did not disagree with anything on The Partnership for 21st Century Skills with my limited techonological experience, in fact, I love this site.
Schools need to change the focus of classrooms from book learning to a well balanced classroom of books and technology. Students must learn how to effectively work in a group that is not is not in the classroom with them. Groups should become world wide, since the government is creating a Cyber Infrastructure to work in a virtual setting around the world, that should be complete by 2020. Companies are already using technology to assist them. As described by Dede Technology Interface must be taught properly to students(World to desktop, virtual environment, and augmented reality)

2 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    You made some wonderful observations and statements. I really enjoyed reading your post. I like the idea of balance you brought up. I couldn't agree more. Books plus technology would be a fantastic combination. I also bookmarked several websites I found useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Response to Cathy’s Blog:

    Hi Cathy,

    I was also unpleasantly surprised that California was not on the list of states currently participating. This inevitably made this site seem less connected for myself and other teachers in states not on the list.

    I do agree that the site offers a number of links that can be very helpful.

    The section in NCLB regarding students being technologically literate by 8th grade seems also to be a stretch considering many schools still do not have the technology or training in place to be technologically literate themselves let alone all of their students.

    Sites that provide resources, however, are a way teachers can start closing this gap. I'm just not sure that this site and others are accessible and user-friendly enough to get the job done. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete