Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Coginitive learning theory works best in a constructivst classroom, which is the focus of this weeks homework. I believe that this type of learning will prepare the students for the 21st Century. The following are examples of learned skills that are necessary in the 21st century: Information seeking, Information presentation, Knowledge organization, Knowledge integration, and Knowledge generation (liyoshi et al, 2005). Each one of these techniques focus on higher level thinking or problem solving, by utilizing technology. In chapter four from Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, knowledge is referred to as cues, another name is schema. This is a great way to engage your learner. I have used a KWL chart and do not have a lot success with the "W," What would you like to learn. I usually use "K," for the students prior knowledge and "L," for learned information. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to successfully teach the students to write questions for the what section on the chart. In a constructivist classroom, students are expected to use thinking tools to help them create or solve. A few examples from Chapter four Cues, Questions, and Advance Organizers are creating a spreadsheet to organize ideas, numbers etc., an advance organizer that focuses on answering an essential quesion, multimedia as a advance organizer or final product. In chapter six Summarizing and Note Taking, the students learn how to summarize using technology to help provide support for this extremely necessary skill. A specific feature on Word called AutoSummarize highlights areas on the document that can be altered, or activate the Track Changes on Word to show how the writing was altered. Both would be a great teaching tool for the students. Another great tool to use is Summary Frames where the teacher can ask questions.

I must say that the the suggestion from the authors to have each student download the software to his/her laptop is presumptious. My school has one computer lab for 1,300 students, no laptops. The other suggestion that I disagree with is the students should take notes as the movie plays.

I love constructivist teaching. Even before the dawn of technology, I have used cognitive tools in the classroom. I use Gardner's multiple intelligences, which lend themselves to this style of teaching. Technology allows students to continue to rich for the stars, just in different solar systems than in the past.
Cathy

4 comments:

  1. Cathy,

    I like the connection you made to 21st Century Skills. I realized I use technology with my students often for researching and then product creation. The information on the cognitive learning theory and applications made me realize the technology tools available to use for the process of learning. These directly relate to Knowledge Organization and Knowledge Generation you note in your post. Thank you for helping me make that connection.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,


    I have also experienced students not being able match expectations on the W part of the KWL charts. One method that I have used is to prompt students by giving them the beginnings of questions. Things like "One person I what to know more about is ..." or simple templates like who, what , when , and where.

    As a side note, I had the same thought about using a computer cart so students can take notes during a video. Why would I corale an entire computer cart (assuming one is available) so students can just take notes? Bringing a computer into the mix gives the students another opportunity to be off task and miss the point of the video.

    Phil Bonus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of prompting the students for the What I want to learn. I am not quite sure why I did not think of this idea, probably because I borrow most great ideas. I love when we are able to put the dots together,and then just get started on another dot to dot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy,
    I am in the same boat you are in. We have two laptop labs of 10 computers each for 1500 students. Students are not allowed to load anything on the computers. If we were teaching at a 21st century accademy where all of the students were issued a laptop to use throughout their high school career this might be more realistic. Until then I guess we must take what we like from the technilogical suggestions and make what modifications we need to in order for it to work for us.

    Christilyn Fetzer

    ReplyDelete