Wednesday, January 27, 2010

GAME Plan Evaluation

What have I learned so far? Well, I just went to a meeting today that voted in plannning days for next year. This means that we get out at 1:30 twice a month. The time is going to be used for planning and teacher training, including technology. The goal was to have a new technology taught each month, and with planning days it is possible. The goal to have all 6th grade students take computer class is not doing well. However, I was told of a possible schedule change, which would allow all students to take a technolgy elective, by adding another class to teachers. This would have to be voted on, but the times and possible 'kinks" were discussed with colleagues. I have met with the principal and discussed the district technology plan to implement 21st century skills into the classroom. When I first read the tech plan I was impressed that I understood the plan. I have learned a lot in these classes, and seeing the plan and explaining to the principal the tech plan was proof of how much I have learned. The plan does not have a time line as far as when this should be implemented, but it is a start. I do not have time or the resources to currently check into grants. I will need to table finding the grants until I have in place 6th grade training, and teacher training. It is a catch tweny two. Without new and improved technology, you cannot teach new and improved things.

5 comments:

  1. It is surprising that you were able to get two days a month for teacher learning. Now it will be interesting to see if you have someone organize the learning process with good training skills. I would like to suggest that you look to your high school(s) and have some training from their teachers. My district would also send some of our high school students to help with the training. It is amazing what some of the kids can do with a little technology and how quickly they can teach the teacher. Two of my students recently presented at a teachers curriculum meeting for the district and showed some of their information on a vodcast they had created. They were very proud after the meeting and told me their third grade teacher was there to see it. It seemed very important to them. Congratulations on your success and Good Luck on your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! You're off to a great start! That planning time sure would be great. How true-having the essential equipment to put technology into play is critical-the hardware and software. Yes, I do believe high school students would be a great resource in helping us teachers use all of the wonderful tool that are available. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an incredible idea. You can tell that your district has the teacher and students needs in the forethought of their minds. I am always struggling with the time subject. I feel like I never have enough time. Our county, about 6 years ago, had a plan similar to this were we would get out early once a month to plan but for some reason they did not feel this was very productive. I hope everything works out for the best for yall. Good luck with your GAME plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having time each month to learn new skills that we could use in the classroom would be a great thing to have. My district wants us to learn new things but it has to be on our time, and our dime. We have been using all of our professional development time the past few years working on our North Central Accredidation (NCA) and have had little time to learn about anything new (like new technologies). Without taking these classes I would have never known what technologically fun and enlightened tools are out there. Good luck with your GAME plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy -

    Good for you... I am so glad to read how hard you are pushing. I have wanted computer educcation classes for years. I just keep running into a brick wall. I am told, "teachers will have to work in teaching the programs they want to us" or "send the kids to Atomic Learning that the district has purchased".

    I think it is so great that you were able to secure 2 days each month to work on teacher tech training. GREAT! I know that makes it easier for teachers to be willing to learn and use programs. It was a great moan in our district/union for the first year.

    I look forward to hearing more about what comes of the training. Keep strong. It will work! Nicole

    ReplyDelete