Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Week 5 Evaluate Progress on GAME Plan

My goal is to incorporate technology into the curriculum for all students. As previously described my school is along way from utilizing technology. I feel like the goal is and will be successful. There are still some important topics that need to be addressed. The first big hurdle that needs to be tackled is allowing all students to learn and use computers. The music program as not been changes for next year, and we only have one computer teacher. One computer teacher can not teach the 6th grade class of 440 students. We need another computer teacher. With our budget cuts, this will be difficult. The other problem which has been addressed, but not solved is reworking the music program. Both of these topics have been discussed with the principal and other teachers.
The two planning days each month will help with training staff on how to use technology. I great suggestion from one of my fellow Walden colleagues suggested having high school students come and train the teachers. Great idea. I have already talked to the principal about this.

I have not directly learned a lot to add to my instructional practice with my GAME Plan, but In the long run all teachers including myself with benefit from bringing technology to the forefront.

Some questions that has arisen are how and when will our technology be upgraded? When will the 21st century upgrade plan for our district take place? What type of technology should be taught to the teachers? How will the students have the opportunity to use technology?

I adjusted my plan last week and feel that additional adjustment is not necessary as of yet. I have some action to take, prior to additional adjustment.

2 comments:

  1. Those are definitely some very important questions that have to be answered before you can implement any type of technology into your classes. Lack of computers and training are something that is very important. Getting two days a month to train is a step in the right direction. Communication between staff and administration might also be able to solve many problems also. Good luck in the future.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea to have a high school student help train the teachers. Another idea to add to that... Could the high schoolers work directly with the students? I know in my school district, some high schoolers come to my elementary school every day to help teachers make copies, work with lower achieving students, or whatever else they may need. Does your school have a program like this? Of course, this would need to be supervised by an adult, but it with some careful planning, it could benefit everyone invloved.

    ReplyDelete