Thursday, January 14, 2010

GAME Plan

The ISTE created the National Educational Technology Standards (NETS•T)
and Performance Indicators for Teachers. After reviewing the standards I realized I am not an expert at any of them. I feel most comfortable or knowledgeable with the first standard Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity. I have found some ways to incorporate technology into the classroom, but a lot more is needed. The first standard I chose deals with a glaring issue on my campus. Lack of technology. I felt that focusing on how to expand and bring the community together was the most important standard (5b. exhibit leadership by demonstrating a vision of technology infusion, participating in shared decision making and community building, and developing the leadership and technology skills of others) In order to make change on my campus, it is important to share a vision with staff members and the community. Knowledge is power. Just today I had a conversation with another teacher that attempted to use the computer lab, but several computers were broken. The focus on campus needs to be technology, which will allow 21st century skills to be taught in school. What action should be taken? We have staff meetings which could be used to discuss technology. The master schedule is the first item to tackle. At my school our full time music program does not allow all students to participate in computers. This needs to be changed. I need to do some research on possible schedules to use, so that all students have computer class. I would also need to evaluate the research and see if additional information is needed to find a schedule that works.


Another standard that I would like to improve is 3c. communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats. I already use School Loop as a form of communication, but I would like to announce a "town meeting" to come up with ways to bring technology to our school. There are web cams, video links and many more things that can be used to communicate digitally. This is a long term goal that cannot be started until my school decides to put priority on technology. Honestly, this year is the most difficult financially, that I have ever seen in 14 years, ,and next year in suppose to be even worse with more budget cuts. This entire school year we have focused on trying to find equability on our campus. (adjunct duty, discipline, and planning days) Technology is not the focus.

7 comments:

  1. Cathy,
    I'm sorry your district doesn't already see how important technology is to the district and to your students. It makes me feel fortunate that I have some like minded teachers I work with and we have been able to show and produce some good projects that used the technology. On Jan.27th there will be a meeting of teachers throughout the district and with administration. The technology the students have produced and have been using will be presented. I'm sending two students with a vodcast of a community project they did. This has already been present to the board of education and was well received. Good luck to you in your worthwhile quest.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,
    I can relate to what you are going through! Luckily we are in the very beginning stages of making changes. It's sad that the music students don't take computer-I have recently learned through my son how computers and technology can aid in music and in art. There is just so much technology can do to enhance, enrich, and extend learning in all areas. Good Luck! You have quite a challenge ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is quite unfortunate that your district does not value technology and even more unfortunate that you do not have access to the computer lab. Your district is not alone, however, in needing updated technology. Unfortunately many school districts are finding the need to make cuts and technology often suffers as a result. I agree with you that communication with parents, staff and students is important for facilitating digital literacy for our students. When students see us as teacher utilizing this technology on a daily basis it makes it more authentic to them and helps them to see the real life component of using computers within the classroom. Hopefully your district will put technology at a higher priority- good luck in the mean time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy
    It is sad that your school does not have technology as a priority but this budgetary constraint will soon pass. Hopefully soon. My school has the computer lab available for any teacher who wants to use it in their class. All we have to do is sign it out in advance. Though the computers may need upgrading they still function and you can use them in class. Hopefully your school will realize the importance and maybe if you get a few of the more influential teachers on you side something can and will be done. Give your principal a knock-out proposal on the importance of reaching our 21st century learners.
    Neclisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy -
    You are not alone. So many districts want to "talk the talk" but can't or won't "walk the walk". Fortunately, my district understands the importance of technology. I hope for you that your district starts to wake up and put technology high on the priority list. Our kids are members on the millinal generation and the world they will be working in as adults will be totally technology based. As you know so well, it’s our jobs to prepare them for that future.
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy
    We have been thrown into the technology age with our heads first. I have fortunately grew up in this age but it continues to change daily so my head is even spinning. It is very difficult as a teacher to keep students up to date with learning when you do not have to tools easily available to you. Soon, I hope, this economic strain will pass and hopefully your campus will be able to afford new technology for your teachers. I am lucky because our school is one of the few schools in our community who focused on technology a couple of years ago and we are blessed with a multitude of tools for our teachers to use. It trully makes a difference when you have what you need to teach. My best wishes go out to you and good luck on implementing your GAME plan.
    Adriane

    ReplyDelete