Monday, February 8, 2010

Week 6 GAME Plan Reflection

This week, really nothing has changed from last week. I am working with the staff to have computer classes for all 6th grade students next year, and have technology as a priority on campus and have teacher training on the planning days next year. We just received notice of 400 teachers that will be laid off next year and several other budget cuts. California is in trouble. It is difficult to have teachers focus on technology when such drastic measures are being taken to reduce the budget deficit.
I have learned the importance of implementing and "lobbying" for technology to be priority, in order to prepare our students for the 21st century.
As far as creating new goals, I need to find ways to collaborate with my colleagues. I need to have a group of core teachers that are focused on technology. I have found that if I become a "master" on one specific goal instead of adding additional goals, I am able to learn how to effectively use it in the classroom. Trying to have technology at my school is the first step that must be completed. Vicki Davis, who has the blog CoolCat, and is from our video this week, works at a school, and district that supports technology. The entire school appears to teach 21st century skills as a school. It is not just one teacher that does not have the proper equipment and support from staff. I believe, my goal to have colleagues work as a team to bring technology in the forefront must be done to be successful.

3 comments:

  1. Cathy - You are making more progress than you think. Understanding the balance of priorities and the importance of technology is a huge part of you achieving your GAME Plan. If you felt that technology was not so important, then you would not be lobbying and pushing for the technology.

    I know it is hard to focus on something new when you hear 400 teachers down. Just know that with technology aiding you in the classroom you can better reach those kids in what will soon be oversized classroom due to the loss of teachers. Cause we all know even though you might lose teachers you are not losing students.

    Some day the government and the public will figure out that if we keep screwing up our kids education that it will jeopardize their and our futures. Let's just hope it is not too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,
    We too are having cuts next year-including our computer teacher-they are thinking about using parapros to teach it-can you imagine! They know I am interested, but right now, I'm not willing to take a cut if they end up doing away with it altogether-it has been crazy at our school and within our district with all the cuts-even middle school band and chorus. I think the cause your are working toward for next year is great and like was said in the previous post-we might be losing teachers but not students-someone needs to be their advocate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about needing to master a goal before moving on to something new. It would be difficult to teach your students a new technology skill or program if you didn't thoroughly understand it yourself. That was one of my goals- to slow down and really learn everything completely before learning something new.

    I can completely relate to cuts being made! California and Illinois are the two worst states when it comes to funding for education. There are an enormous amount of cuts being made in my district, too. The focus is on keeping as many teachers as possible, not on technology. I think that's why it's so important that we do as much as we can in our classrooms. The importance of implementing twenty-first century skills isn't going to come from anywhere else at this time!

    ReplyDelete